I’m going to argue here that we replace football with soccer as the number one field sport in the U.S. Before I give you my irrefutable and carefully researched reasons, let me share my credentials.
I am a hardcore Yankees fan…at least post-season, or if C.C. is pitching.
I watch some basketball but I miss the old days–before foul calls punctuated every five minutes of play.
I love watching top level women’s sports–largely because it feels more authentic and less driven by commercial activity.
I never watch golf…even back when Tiger was playing at the top of his game.
I follow both winter and summer Olympics.
I have personally completed five marathons…walking.
Okay, now my soccer vs. football, pros/cons.
* Football is much more physically dangerous than soccer. Score one point for soccer.
* The U.S. is basically the only country that plays football, making it very 20th vs. 21st century–it’s a global economy and a global sports world nowadays. Score one point for soccer.
* Soccer requires greater athleticism and less equipment/gear–go anywhere in the world with a soccer ball and it’s “game on!” within minutes. Score one point for soccer.
* Aside from the “off sides” call, the rules of soccer are much less complicated. Score one point for soccer.
* Football has tailgate parties. Score one for football.
Like the title of this post says, football, 1; soccer, 4. Now go tune in a World Cup game.