A to-do list for summer
by Dale Hobson on August 19th, 2017
There is only about a month of summer left. A few maples are already showing color in the St. Lawrence Valley. Not that there has been a whole lot of summer so far, what with all the frog-friendly weather.
So time is running out to tick off all the boxes on your summer to-do list.
No, not the list of deferred maintenance chores around the house, not the objectives you listed on your job performance review – the other list.
- Climb up until you run out of mountain
- Watch a concert from a lawn chair
- Look back down the wake at a swiftly receding island
- Lick ice cream in a parking lot
- Go on a midway ride
- Cook dinner on the porch and eat it on the steps
- Go off trail to check out an odd flower
- Nap in a hammock
- Follow a heron around in a canoe
- Cool feet in a waterfall flume
- Walk through a meadow before the dew has dried
- Throw a Frisbee around
- Look at the stars from the end of the dock
- Stare into the coals of a campfire
- Drive around with no destination but cool breeze
It’s time to get busy with not being so busy. Tick tock.
I’m sure I left something out. Let me know in a comment below.
Watch a yellow Butterfly perform its ‘cupid’s bow across the back field …
Lie on your back and watch the clouds drift by. Imagine shapes.
Stay outside past dark and listen for kids playing and laughing.
Listen to the loons.
There were only two things to do on my to-do list.
Two, go to my granddaughter’s wedding.
Accomplished the last on Saturday and will continue to do the first as long as possible because retiring is for snowflakes.